According to Spiked Online, those CCTVs that have become so ubiqitous in the UK have now been rigged up with loudspeakers, allowing remote faceless government agents to tell you not to loiter, or litter, or whetever.
But who will be doing the voices? Children, that’s who. The government has issued a press release stating the following:
‘Children from across the country will be very publicly calling upon the small minority of people who think it is acceptable to act anti-socially on our streets and in our towns to change their ways and take responsibility for their actions….’
Is the British Government trying to emulate 1984? Let’s take a look:
- Loads of cameras following your every move? Check.
- Cameras that can talk and give orders? Check.
- The transformation of children into government spies? Check.
- Government surveillance inside private homes? Not yet, in the UK anyway.
- Use of torture to break “thought criminals”? No, thank God.
- Anti-Sex League? Erm, no.
In short, the British Government is emulating 1984 as much as it is possible for a democratic government to do – so let’s hope it goes no further. If we ever hear Tony Blair say “We’re at war on terror. We’ve always been at war on terror.” than you will know they have crossed the line.
(If you haven’t read 1984, read it online – and shudder.)